Saturday, July 14, 2012

Cultural Perceptions

Ones perceptions of various cultural customs are very interesting. Differing perceptions are in themselves worthy of taking into consideration for a moment. Greg repeatedly says that "perception is reality." This concept has gotten me through many management quandaries, and while I have always agreed with the statement the philosophy of the concept has never fully hit me until just recently.
While doing surveys in Urdaneta there was a sudden commotion just down the street from us. It seemed that everyone in a four block radius had quickly come to the city center to investigate the commotion. This was interesting in itself as the town had been quiet all day; the residents huddled under their wool ponchos attempting to escape the chill of the constant rain outside and the foreigners pestering them for their opinions. We made our way towards the cluster of people to see what all of the fuss was about. They had captured a possum! Her tail had been chopped off and it appeared as though she had an injury to her head. At first glance we all assumed that she was dead, but we quickly learned that she was simply following her instincts and playing "possum." There were two men standing there hovering above her, basking in some type of heroic glory. One of the men was holding a kitchen knife still dripping with fresh blood. The other man was holding a bucket full of water and was sloshing the water onto the concrete to wash away the pooling blood. It was in this moment that the man tossed some of the cold water onto the injured possum and as she contorted her body in attempt of escaping the frigid deluge of water we realized that she was not dead. The event suddenly became a sport, or rather a type of revenge as the growing crowd erupted in laughter. The event made me think of the outrageous circus side show acts; the ring master standing there with the knife taunting the crowd for more hoops and hollers, the bearded lady with the bucket of water participating in the show because it is all that she knows, and the giant elephant standing in the crowd- the four of us strangers that were equally as much of a sideshow act to the local residents as this event was to us.  After 45 seconds I made my way back to our survey haunt.
It is culturally believed that possum soup provides relief for individuals that are suffering from asthma. They are considered a pest, and this particular "side show" event has taken place so often in Ecuador the animal is now red listed in the country. The community members claimed that this particular possum had been killing their chickens for several nights. Thus, the treatment she was receiving was believed to be well deserved. They sliced her throat not long after I walked away. One of the crowd members took the six young that the possum was caring for home to raise for later consumption.
It is easy to place judgement; to be clouded by the luxuries that life in America provides. I needed to turn the lens to myself for a moment so as to adjust my perception. I grew up hunting, fishing, and living on a farm where my parents often encouraged my brother and I to name livestock after cuts of meat. Thus we were never surprised when Lamb Chop or Bacon were taken to the butcher. It has been an accepted way of life for as long as I can remember. As the possum met it's fate, I gave a nod of thanks to the ground just as I do when I pull a steelhead into the boat- my perception unaltered.

No comments: